Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:46:37 +0100
From: Damir Rajnovic <gaus@...co.com>
To: Michael Thumann <mthumann@...w.de>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
   vulnwatch@...nwatch.org, cert@...t.org
Cc: psirt@...co.com
Subject: [VulnDiscuss] Re: Cracking preshared keys

This is in response to the mail of mthumann@...w.de from ERNW Gmbh
posted on 2003-Apr-23:

At 11:35 23/04/2003 +0100, Michael Thumann wrote:
>we would like to announce the publication of a proof of concept paper
>'PSK cracking using IKE Aggressive Mode'. Paper can be downloaded from
>www.ernw.de/download/pskattack.pdf .

The mail itself can be found at
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/319487

This text can be found at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sn-20030422-ike.html

IKE (Internet Key Exchange) is used during Phase 1 and Phase 2 of
establishing an IPSec connection. Phase 1 is where the two ISA KMP
(Internet Security Association and Key Management Protocol) peers
establish a secure, authenticated channel with which to communicate.
This is called the ISAKMP Security Association (SA). "Main Mode"
and "Aggressive Mode" each accomplish a Phase 1 exchange. Each
generates authenticated keying material from an ephemeral
Diffie-Hellman exchange. Every participant in IKE must possess a
key which may be either pre-shared (PSK) or a public key. There
are inherent risks to configurations that use pre-shared keys which
are exaggerated when Aggressive Mode is used.

When responding to IPSec session initialization, Cisco IOSĀ® software
may use Aggressive Mode even if it has not been explicitly configured
to do so. Cisco IOS software initially tries to negotiate using Main
Mode but, failing that, resorts to Aggressive Mode.

Using Aggressive Mode with pre-shared keys is the least secure option.
In this particular scenario, it is possible for an attacker to gather
all necessary information in order to mount an off-line dictionary
(brute force) attack on the pre-shared keys. The detailed analysis of
the attack is given in the article by John Pliam. The article is
located at http://www.ima.umn.edu/~pliam/xauth/. Although this article
is about Aggressive Mode, the thread referenced below also contains
references to Main Mode.

Please note that this attack method has been known and discussed
within the IETF IPSec Working Group. You can find the thread at
http://www.vpnc.org/ietf-ipsec/99.ipsec/thrd2.html#01451 (Subject:
Weak authentication in Xauth and IKE). The IPSec Working Group has
understood and acknowledged this attack avenue, but has deemed that
this is an acceptable risk. There are public information-gathering
tools which target IPSec session initiation and brute-force the
pre-shared key. One of them can be found at
http://ikecrack.sourceforge.net/

The most exposed users are those who use IPSec to connect to
internal resources across a hostile network (for example, a
sales person visiting a customer). The entire session may be
intercepted on the hostile network and manipulated while the user
is unaware of such activity. Note that the recorded session (the
one that was used to discover PSK) cannot be decrypted. It is still
protected by the ephemeral Diffie-Hellman key exchange. An adversary
can either use a pre-shared key to impersonate a trusted user and
connect to the protected network, or it can mount an active
Man-in-The-Middle (MiTM) attack on any new session. Another high-risk
scenario is group pre-shared keys, that is, a single shared key is
assigned to all dial-in users.

Please note that the same class of attack is possible even if
Xauth (Extended Authentication) is used. This is because Xauth is
performed after Phase 1 is completed and, for this attack, an adversary
needs only a packet from Phase 1. Furthermore, after the pre-shared
key has been discovered, an adversary can mount an active MiTM attack
on Xauth. The outcome depends on the exact authentication method used
in Xauth.

Mitigation of this risk is to use, as long as practical, strong
pre-shared keys, and to change them frequently. In Cisco IOS software,
the PSK can be up to 128 characters in length. According to some
estimates, one character carries from 1.3 to up to 4 bits of entropy.
This means that the password can have, at maximum, anywhere from 166
to 512 bits of entropy. The length of the PSK should be determined
by your security policy.

Gaus

Damir Rajnovic <psirt@...co.com>, PSIRT Incident Manager, Cisco Systems
<http://www.cisco.com/go/psirt>      Telephone: +44 7715 546 033
200 Longwater Avenue, Green Park, Reading, Berkshire RG2 6GB, GB