Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 11:36:37 +0200 (MEST)
From: ScriptSlave@....net
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: II-Labs Advisory: Remote code execution in YaBBse 1.5.2 (php version)

>SSI.php:
>include_once ($sourcedir . '/Errors.php');
>include_once ($sourcedir . '/Subs.php');
>include_once ($sourcedir . '/Load.php');

You should probably quote the lines above this block, too.

(Line #031) $full_yabbse_path = '.';
(Line #048) include_once ($full_yabbse_path . '/Settings.php');

and you should quote Settings.php:

(Line #067) $sourcedir = "/home/something/board/Sources";

so before Errors.php is included, $sourcedir is *always* set to a value,
overwriting any variable that is passed through the URL.

>We can define $sourcedir variable through URL and include some other
>PHP script local or remote if remote inclusion is enabled in php.ini file.
>Bug in not exploitable if PHP's registar_globals is set to off.

see above - you can't

>Add this line before include_once() lines mentioned above.
>
>----cut here----
>if (!isset($sourcedir)) $sourcedir = "";
>----cut here----

So you are setting $sourcedir to "" if it isn't set? Whats the point of
this?

The hole does *not* exist, as the variable $sourcedir is always set to a
value.  Even if the user did not yet configure YaBB SE, $sourcedir is set to an
empty value.