Date: 30 May 2003 16:03:36 -0000
From: Idan Shoham <idan@...nch.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Multiple Vulnerabilities In P-Synch Password Management

The following can be taken as an official response from the vendor:
M-Tech Information Technology, Inc. (http://mtechIT.com/) to this
"vulnerability:"

1) The actual risk of these issues to production deployments of
   P-Synch is nil, as users do not normally, or in our experience ever,
   access P-Synch by clicking a URL on a third-party web server.

   Cross-site scripting attacks only affect the web browser of
   users who click a maliciously-constructed URL to a valid
   application URL, and this mode of attacking user browsers is
   simply not relevant to a normal P-Synch deployment.

   Users access P-Synch in one of several ways, none of which
   expose their browser to cross-site scripting attacks:

   a) By typing a well known URL, such as "password" in their browser,
      and relying on the DNS infrastructure of their organization
      (e.g., password --> password.acme.com --> P-Synch server).

   b) By triggering transparent password synchronization with a native
      password change on some system (and where no browser is involved).

   c) Using an IVR system and telephone (again, no browser).

   d) By clicking on a link to P-Synch on their corporate Intranet,
      which is highly unlikely to be compromised by a mangled URL.

2) A fix for both issues has been available to M-Tech customers
   for some time.  Despite extremely low risk, M-Tech was already
   aware, in particular of the path disclosure issue, and had already
   resolved it.

3) Path disclosure is trivial in this case.  The fact that P-Synch
   was installed on "C:\Program Files\P-Synch" is hardly sensitive
   and security through obscurity is obviously a falsehood.  The
   P-Synch application is hardened, and knowledge on the part of
   an intruder that the software is installed in a given directory,
   on a machine that should in normal deployments have no filesystem
   shares or other remote access mechanisms, is meaningless.

4) The contents of the filesystem of the P-Synch server are not
   affected.  For example, issuing a URL such as:

   http://demobox/demo/psdemo/nph-psf.exe?css=c:\test.dat

   will simply cause a web browser that follows this link to get
   an HTML page that includes the text:

   @import "c:\test.dat";
   </STYLE>

The original poster never made an effort to notify M-Tech of the
"discovered vulnerability," and does not have a legitimate copy of P-Synch
(presumably because he refused to sign a license agreement which many
customers and prospects sign daily to get a free evaluation copy of the
software).  As there are extremely few P-Synch deployments facing the
Internet, it is very unlikely that the poster "came across" P-Synch by
accident.

Customers and prospects are encouraged to contact M-Tech for
more detailed information about this issue, and to download
patches if they feel the vulnerability is worth addressing.

by outgoing3.securityfocus.com (Postfix) with QMQP

id B59A3A313B; Thu, 29 May 2003 23:10:31 -0600 (MDT)