Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cesar <cesarc56@...oo.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: FW: Windows Update - Unsafe ActiveX control (fwd)

Hi.

I wouldn't consider Windows Update ActiveX as safe,
the ActiveX has dangerous methods, for example it can
reboot the computer. Of course the ActiveX checks for
the current site and if it's not Windows Update site
it won't work, but if there is some XSS hole in
Windows Update site or if there is a bug in IE that
allows to trick the URL, then the ActiveX becomes very
dangerous. In my opinion restricting an ActiveX to a
specific site only reduce the attack surface but it
doesn't make an ActiveX safe.

Cesar.