Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:02:01 -0400
From: MightyE <trash@...htye.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Another Mac OS X ScreenSaver Security Issue (after Security
 	  Update 2003-07-14)

If anything I'd call this a security consideration of Escape Pod.
Perhaps Escape Pod should try to talk to the process it's about to kill,
and get its 'permission' for killing, and failing a timely response (2
secs?), drop the program.  ScreenSaverEngine would have to be tailored
to respond to such a request.

On Linux, doesn't xscreensaver run as root?  Wouldn't this be another
option here (I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Mac OS X), preventing Escape
Pod from even being capable of terminating the screensaver process?  Or
does Escape Pod also run as root?

If you ask me, Escape Pod owes it to their users to develop the product
in such a way so to not nullify reasonable security measures on the part
of the OS, even if that's an option to never terminate processes named
ScreenSaverEngine.

-MightyE