Date: 05 Aug 2003 16:45:49 -0500
From: Jeff Smith <jsmith@...due.edu>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Re: question about oracle advisory

I can confirm that this is Oracle's stance.  I opened a TAR (technical
assistance request) to ask that they make the patch available for 8i,
which is supposed to receive error correction support until December 31,
2003.  Their reply, in summary, is:

1) Bug 2716764 was introduced in 9.2 and does not apply to 8i

2) 9.2.0.3 requires patch 2988114 and 9.2.0.2.0 requires patch 2988086,
both of which address extproc buffer overflows, but apparently ones
specific to 9i versions.

3) The third bug, 2642203 (extproc buffer overflow possible on long
library name), does apply and already has a backport request in
progress.  According to the Oracle tech support person, you must have a
database account and the create library privilege to exploit the bug,
which is contrary to Mr. Litchfield's follow-up letter.

This confusing situation doesn't exactly reassure me!  A "repeat by"
that showed whether you were vulnerable would be helpful to many Oracle
DBAs.

Jeff Smith
IT Security & Policy
Purdue University