Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:59:02 -0500
From: Paul Tinsley <pdt@...khammer.org>
To: Thor Larholm <thor@...x.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: FW: Microsoft Security Update

Just FYI, that is by design, Microsoft releases security bulletins on
Wednesdays and has a conference call with some of their bigger customers
on Thursdays to discuss the concerns their "heavy hitters" might have.

The one thing I would like to share about MS03-037 that may help clear
up some confusion.  It states: "When Microsoft Word is being used as the
HTML e-mail editor in Outlook, a user would need to reply to or forward
a malicious e-mail document sent to them in order for this vulnerability
to be exploited."  The reason for this is that word doesn't really "kick
in" until you have taken the email into an editing mode, by opening a
reply or forward window.  You don't actually have to complete the
forward or reply action, simply hitting reply or forward is enough.

So watch out for viruses offering free stuff to the next 20 people that
reply :(