Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:21:45 +0200
From: "Thor Larholm" <thor@...x.com>
To: "Andreas Gietl" <a.gietl@...dmin.de>, "thetic" <thetic_1900@...mail.com>,
   "Michal Zalewski" <lcamtuf@...ttot.org>, <honeypots@...urityfocus.com>,
   <pen-test@...urityfocus.com>, <focus-ids@...urityfocus.com>,
   <sectools@...urityfocus.com>
Cc: <incidents@...urityfocus.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>,
   <full-disclosure@...sys.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [tool] the new p0f 2.0.1 is now out

Well, there will have to be SOME packets entering your network, they will just
be indistinguishable from regular traffic. If you wanted to detect a passive OS
fingerprinting, you might want to test derivations from ordinary patterns of
regular traffic, such as a user constantly requesting the same HTTP ressource or
constantly trying to send the same ICMP packets.

You won't be able to detect a pOf scan with some static ruleset, but from the
patternbreaking actions of a user trying to generate lots and lots of legitimate
traffic. This would likely become easier if pOf was used as part of some larger
toolset.

Regards
Thor Larholm
PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher