Date: 08 Sep 2003 12:44:55 -0700
From: Dan Stromberg <strombrg@....nac.uci.edu>
To: Thamer Al-Harbash <tmh@...tefang.com>
Cc: Dan Stromberg <strombrg@....nac.uci.edu>,
	3APA3A <3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: 11 years of inetd default insecurity?

On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 18:46, Thamer Al-Harbash wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, 3APA3A wrote:
>
> > Dear bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
> >
> > Well,  we all blame Microsoft in insecure default configuration... Isn't
> > it time to clean outdated code in Unix?
>
> This has been a known problem for quite a while. In fact
> D. J. Bernstein already solved it with tcpserver:
>
> http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp.html
>
> If you look at the bottom he points out pretty much what you
> pointed out.

So DJB's program basically has a large listen queue, and goes into
queue-only mode after 40 concurrent connections?

If that's the case, then there's still a DOS - just fill the listen
queue with so much stuff that connections aren't serviced for a long
time.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg@....nac.uci.edu>

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (190 bytes)