Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:20:57 -0700
From: "Thor Larholm" <thor@...x.com>
To: "CERT(R) Coordination Center" <cert@...t.org>
Cc: "CERT(R) Coordination Center" <cert@...t.org>,
	"Mark Coleman" <markc@...ontown.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.org>
Subject: RE: [Fwd: Re: AIM Password theft]  VU#865940

Art,

You are correct, I should not have replied to Mark when I had not yet had my morning coffee. The dynamic rendering of OBJECT elements still trigger the HTA functionality exposed in Windows. Personally, though, I see this as an unrelated vulnerability regarding static/dynamic code rendering which has a greater impact than just allowing HTA code to execute.

Both GM#001 and thePulls POC, which malware cites, are one and the same issue instead of two separate, they both trigger the dynamic rendering of HTML instead of the static - GM#001 just does this without requiring scripting.

Regards
Thor Larholm
PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher
http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched - Unpatched IE vulnerabilities