Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:06:58 -0400
From: MightyE <trash@...htye.org>
To: Lawrence MacIntyre <lpz@...l.gov>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: base64

Lawrence MacIntyre wrote:

>Whatever happened to the strategy:
>
>Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you accept.

This strategy falls on its face when you're looking at scanning emails
for viruses.  If you're liberal in what you accept, then someone has the
ability to encode their virus, targeted toward a specific mail program,
which behaves in a certain way when it encounters improperly encoded
base64 data.

There are two methods which you can use in the writing of your email
virus scanner; you can either decode it every known way that any client
does so, in which case you are only ever able to perform damage control,
and must update your software each time a program exhibits new
behavior.  This method also introduces a high load on the mail server
since you have to decode the same attachment many times, and scan it for
viruses many times.  If there are only 5 conceivable means to decode an
error in the base64 encoding, then you've introduced 5 times the load on
your mail server compared to traditional approaches.  This thus also
opens you wider to DoS attacks.

Alternatively you can accept it only if it is properly encoded, relying
on the 99.9% of clients out there that know how to read an RFC.  If all
mail servers had always only accepted proper base64 encoding, then the
authors of all email clients would have their clients encoding correctly
from the very start, and you'd never need to worry about this now (or
else they'd never actually get any users since they'd have a hard time
sending attachments).

>The real problem isn't badly formed MIME attachments or blown BASE64
>encoding, it is instead mail clients that execute email as if it were
>code, when we all know that email is simply data.  You don't execute
>data...

No, the problem at hand is how best to scan for viruses in incoming
email, that's what the discussion is centered around.   This latest
virus going around uses social engineering to get the user to run the
executable; the mail program never runs it.  In your paragraph above,
you thus describe this as not a problem, or failing that, this certainly
doesn't fall within your description of what a problem is.  I disagree,
and insist that in an increasingly hostile Internet environment,
stricter acceptance policies are needed more and more.  Non compliance
with RFC's should not be tolerated, this sort of non compliance is
specifically the sort of loop hole that crackers can exploit to bypass
the likes of virus scanners.

>p.s.  If your theory on broken clients were true, then Outlook would be
>gone by now:-)

No, because my theory depends on being conservative in what you accept;
being liberal in what you accept does not give users of broken clients
any incentive to find a functioning client.  When users are hit by an
Outlook worm, everything blows over in a week or two, it's a big
inconvenience, but they're again sending emails again, and the problem
is "fixed" as far as they're concerned, so no reason to change now, they
after all have their address book set up in this client.  If a worm came
around that was hitting them, and there never *was* a fix for their
client, the user is faced with either dropping off the face of the 'net
for eternity, or finding a new client.  I think we're both aware of what
the obvious choice is for the user here.

Yours,
Eric Stevens
mightye a@t  mightye d.o.t org