Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:22:45 -0400
From: "James C. Slora, Jr." <james.slora@...a.com>
To: "Larry Seltzer" <larry@...ryseltzer.com>, <kruse@...lroad.dk>,
	"Liviu Daia" <Liviu.Daia@...r.ro>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Ruh-Roh SOBIG.G?

I have received one classic Swen.A message with an SCR attachment.

What does this have to do with Sobig.x?

Most likely we are seeing the results of secondary file infectors -
Yaha, Klez, Bugbear, etc. Virus detection is generally "first and out".
I have previously seen file infectors piggybacking on the virus du jour.

Plus jerks spamming out custom trojans. Some of them might hide their
payload as a file infection inside a common malware whose social
engineering has been successful. This has the benefit to the jerk of
delaying AV company detection of his malware. Recipients who open the
attachment get the alert from their AV software and they think they were
protected, while the trojan continues its business unimpeded. Depending
on many factors of course.