Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:52:53 -0500
From: "Alun Jones" <alun@...is.com>
To: "'Wojciech Purczynski'" <cliph@...c.pl>,
	"'Michal Zalewski'" <lcamtuf@...edump.cx>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, <secpapers@...urityfocus.com>,
	<vulnwatch@...nwatch.org>, <vulndiscuss@...nwatch.org>,
	<full-disclosure@...sys.com>
Subject: RE: [PAPER] Juggling with packets: floating data storage

Of course, a real network engineer would remind you that you face two
immediate problems regarding this technique:

1. [UDP] Jugglers don't usually have to deal with oranges suddenly
disappearing in midflight, or being duplicated.
2. [TCP] Jugglers don't have to hold onto a copy of their thrown orange
until such time as the catching hand lets them know that it's been caught.

Yes, networks can be used as storage, and in the very early days of
computing, "storage" was essentially a delay line with an amplifier -
whether this was an oscilloscope with an array of light sensors, or a coil
of wire, etc.  This is roughly similar to the proposal under discussion.
Protecting network-borne data from corruption and loss is not a trivial
problem.  Good luck.

Alun.
~~~~
--