Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:59:29 -0400
From: "T.A. Adjuster" <adjuster@...ved.org>
To: "Richard M. Smith" <rms@...puterbytesman.com>,
	"'Giovanni Campagnoli'" <bioia@...oo.com>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Microsoft got it wrong

The article (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828035) referred to in Mr.
Campagnoli's original posting refers not to the "Windows Messenger", but to
the "Messenger" service, traditionally used to display messages of the "NET
SEND" or "WinPopup" variety.

The "Messenger" service runs, at least in Windows 2000, as "Local System",
and is set to "Automatic" startup in all versions of Windows NT back to, I
believe, 3.51.

In the context of a buffer-overflow in the "Messenger" service being
undiscovered, the USA Today article echoes the sentiment that I would
express: "Messenger" service pop-ups are a nusiance and nothing more.

In the context of the buffer-overflow as described in the Microsoft article
above, and assuming that the overflow is exploitable, I would consider this
a critical security concern.

Assuming that, at the time of the USA Today article's writing, the overflow
was undiscovered, I would argue that Microsoft did not "get it wrong".

As a matter of course, I have been disabling the "Messenger" service in new
installations for the past several years and would recommend that everyone
do so (using Active Directory Group Policies to disable services is a
beautiful thing). The frustrating part of this, however, is the usage of
this mechanism by some software to "broadcast" messages to clients (UPS
management software comes to mind first). Perhaps this represents an
opportunity for someone to implement a better "Messenger listener" that
could gateway these messages to other protocols or logs.

---

As an aside, this also highlights a frustration that I've had with Microsoft
on several occasions-- naming products or components of products similar
names. I've seen confusion between the "Messenger" service and "Windows
Messenger", the "Computer Browser" service and web browsers, and long ago
confusion between the "Microsoft Exchange" MAPI client software and
"Microsoft Exchange Server".

T.A. Adjuster