Date: 29 Oct 2003 22:34:32 -0000
From: Chris Wysopal <cwysopal@...take.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Mac OS X vulnerabilities ['Virus checked"]

@stake's policy has been the same since June, 2002 which was its last revision.  Our policy is in line with the OIS guidelines.  Assuming Mac OS X 10.2 is supported, Apple is not following the OIS guidelines which require a vendor to release a remedy for *all supported platforms* and to make an effort to deliver them simultaneously.

From: http://www.oisafety.org/reference/process.pdf

7.1.4

The Vendor shall ensure that a remedy is available for all supported products affected by the Flaw

7.3.9

If multiple products or versions are affected by the Flaw, the Vendor shall exercise reasonable efforts to simultaneously deliver all remedies.

It may come as a surprise to many people on the list that the OIS guidelines require/recommend vendors to do a lot of things that many vendors do not do now and are very good for customers.

When we reported these issues to Apple they told us that they would have them fixed in the Panther release timeframe.  To be honest, I assumed there would also be a patch for 10.2.  We certainly didn't dictate any specific way of releasing the fixes.

The DMG file issue was reported in June, 2003 and the core overwrite issue was reported on 7/25/2003.  I don't have a recorded notification date for the long argv issue.

Whether or not a vendor makes a customer pay for a security remedy is a business decision but they should make it clear that they are not supporting older versions if they are not releasing free patches for them.  I think security fixes should be separate from feature updates since new features often introduce new vulnerabilies.

Cheers,

Chris