Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:37:52 +0000
From: graham.coles@...ail-logic.com
To: "Thor Larholm" <thor@...x.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: RE: Mac OS X vulnerabilities ['Virus checked"]

Thor,

Sorry, I hadn't read the vendor response section of the advisories fully,
I'd rather assumed they would be issuing a security update for 10.2 as
per usual.

I'd have to agree it's a pretty poor showing from Apple if the only fix is
buy the next version of the operating system. I believe Microsoft are about
to stop patching Windows Me shortly (which has been around for a few years
now) and usually support the current and previous service pack of an OS.

If Apple are only going to support the most recent version of OS X - which
equates to about 12 months lifetime, as I believe they're planning a major
new release each year - then it's going to be either difficult or expensive
keep secure.

Given the current climate with regards to security, I don't think they're
doing
themselves any favours if they take this route. I hope they'll reconsider
if this
is their policy.

Regards,

Graham Coles

                      "Thor Larholm"
                      <thor@...x.com>          To:       <graham.coles@...ail-logic.com>, <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
                                               cc:
                      29/10/2003 10:25         Subject:  RE: Mac OS X vulnerabilities ['Virus checked"]

Graham,

Thank you for the feedback.

I can't locate any new patches or updates through the software update tool
on our 10.2 systems, and Apples security site (which I now received the URL
to) mentions nothing about these security updates for OS X 10.2

The only way for any Mac OS X 10.2 user to stay secure is to pay Apple for
an upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3, there are simply no patches for these
vulnerabilities in 10.2 even though 10.2 is affected.

Regards
Thor Larholm
PivX Solutions, LLC - Senior Security Researcher
http://pivx.com/larholm/ - Get our research, join our mailinglist