Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 01:58:21 +0100
From: "kang@...ecure.ws" <kang@...ecure.ws>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: safari dos

Original is here: http://www.insecure.ws/article.php?story=20031122012748282

Safari will never exit a loop in javascript. Since javascript isn't
executed in a thread, this cause a DoS (Safari crashes).
Firebird has been tested and is not vulnerable. I don't know about other
browers on MacOSX, but they are probably not vulnerable. (OmniWeb?)

/As usual, read more for exploit/explanation/

----------

|Adv: safari_0x02
Release Date: 22/11/03
Affected Products: Safari =< 1.1.1
Impact: Denial of Service
Severity: Remote, low
Author: kang, kang@...ecure.ws

A very simple javascript block like this one:

while (true)
{ document.location "sherlock://com.apple.movies?" }

is enought to lock up Safari, effectivly DoSing it.
Notice that you must call a protocol helper in the loop, here I'm
calling Sherlock. Otherwise, the loop is aborted and Safari functions
normally.
There is no fix available yet. Vendor has been informed.