Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:50:06 +0100
From: Härnhammar, Ulf <Ulf.Harnhammar.9485@...dent.uu.se>
To: oss@...port.coresecurity.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Python network security tools: Pcapy, Impacket, InlineEgg

> InlineEgg
> http://oss.coresecurity.com/projects/inlineegg.html

> We are releasing it under an open source license for
> non-commercial use in the hope that you'll find it helpful for your own
> projects.

That's an incorrect usage of the open source term. I quote the Open Source
Definition ( http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php ):

"1. Free Redistribution

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the
software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing
programs from several different sources.

[...]

6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from
being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research."

The tools sound interesting, but I just wanted to point out that the license
to InlineEgg is not an open source license. You can read more about this at
http://www.opensource.org/ .

--
Ulf Härnhammar, student, Uppsala universitet

kses PHP HTML/XHTML filter
 http://sourceforge.net/projects/kses

"Jag är en tvivelaktig figur / Duger ej mycket till"
-- Cornelis Vreeswijk, "Somliga går med trasiga skor"

Uggs != Cmectbb