Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 02:10:19 -0800
From: Crispin Cowan <crispin@...unix.com>
To: Julian Wynne <bugjules@...rkey.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Unhackable network really unhackable?

Julian Wynne wrote:

>Furthermore we would like to point out that InvisiLAN technology  has no relation
>whatsoever with DHCP, for example InvisiLAN changes randomly not just the IP
>address but also the MAC address and the port numbers.

The InvisiLAN technique is an instance of what I called "interface
permutation" in this paper:

    "The Cracker Patch Choice: An Analysis of Post Hoc Security
    Techniques".  Crispin Cowan, Heather Hinton, Calton Pu, and Jonathan
    Walpole.  Presented at the National Information Systems Security
    Conference (NISSC) <http://csrc.nist.gov/nissc/>, Baltimore MD,
    October 16-19 2000. PDF
    <http://immunix.com/%7Ecrispin/crackerpatch.pdf>.

The specific approach of IP address hopping was described in this DARPA
experiment:

    "Dynamic Approaches to Thwart Adversary Intelligence Gathering
    <http://www.iaands.org/discex_II/Briefs/13June/I&E/I&E_4_Kewley_DISCEXII_DYNAT.ppt>",
    Doreen Kewley et al, DARPA Information Survivability Conference &
    Expo (DISCEX II), June 12-14, 2001.

>We understand that the claim of unhackability is a steep one but I can assure you
>that anyone who has tested the system in the past has been swept away by the
>effectiveness and the implications of this new technology.

In the DARPA experiment anyway, it turned out to be hackable :) More
precisely, it imposed a delay on the attacker, but did not stop them. A
notable difference is that the DARPA experiment only changed the IP
address, and not the MAC address. I'm not convinced that this will make
a difference, but it could.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.           http://immunix.com/~crispin/