Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:38:47 +1300
From: Nick FitzGerald <nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk>
To: "'bugtraq@...urityfocus.com'" <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Intresting case of SQL Injection

Sys Sec <syssec@...igsa.com> wrote:

<<snip>>
> Normally you verify data with Javascript in Client ...

I just _love_ seeing this kind of advice...

NOT!

It amounts to you (or your even more security-ignorant client)
effectively saying to your clients (or to the clients of your even more
security ignorant client) "we know better than you about how to secure
_your_ client computers and thus you should trust our judgement that it
is safe for you to enable JavaScript in your web browser despite you
having no frigging idea at all who we are, where this code is actually
hosted, whether the sysadmins of the hosting servers have two clues
about securing their machines and so on".

Please _stop_ thinking it is reasonable to assume you can make such
decisions for folk.  Just because the braindead default configuration
of popular browsers is "ream me seven ways to Sunday" (also known as
"multiply the effect of many security flaws in this browser several
fold by enabling JavaScript") does not mean you should assume
JavaScript is available, and if your web pages should happen to be
rendered on a sensibly configured machine, fercrissakes do not assume
you know better than the person who set the machine up -- in such cases
the odds are not that they are running some ancient or otherwise non-
scripting client version but that they know a lot more than you about
the acceptable security exposure of _that machine_.

> ... but you must verify data
> in file that receive POST Form. In the file that receive the POST data you
> can use these functions.

Exactly.  The input can be delivered to your server-side app through
all manner of other channels than your client-side code, so why even
bother thinking about designing, writing, debugging and maintaining
client-side sanity-checking code?  The odds -- from a huge repository
of popular and widely deployed web apps -- that the programmer or team
behind the app is too retarded to understand the security implications
of _just_ the server-side of the app, so they should concentrate on
getting that part better and maintaining that rather than trying to
dictate their security policies to the clients of the web app.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald