Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:08:31 -0000
From: "Ross Draper" <Ross.Draper@...icradio.com>
To: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Dell BIOS DoS

I agree with your points Jon, but lets be fair here, BIOS passwords do
have a use - especially on laptops.

Although nobody in there right mind would rely on them as the sole
protection for a machine, they are certainly worthwhile both as a
deterrant to the casual snooper and as a delaying tactic to your average
criminal.

At the very least they can buy a couple of hours for the end-user to
contact his/her IT department to block any dial-in accounts and reset
any passwords that may be compromised... assuming they remember to call
you that is ;-)

Cheers

Ross