Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:24:00 +0100 (CET)
From: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@...ttot.org>
To: Barney Wolff <barney@...abus.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...sys.com
Subject: Re: A new TCP/IP blind data injection technique?

> I suspect that in these cases the RSTs may be coming from firewalls
> rather than end-hosts.  It would be more impressive and surprising if
> one ever got a SYN-ACK in response.

Not really. A variant of the same test addressed to common ports such as
139 resulted in four SYN+ACKs coming back, compared to 50 SYN+ACKs when
the checksum was correct - which is roughly similar to the previous
figure. Quite surprisingly, some of this comes from what seems to be
Windows XP SP1 - but maybe an intermediate device rewrites the packet
instead.

--
 Michal Zalewski * [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx]

   http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/photo/current/