Date: 16 Dec 2003 05:07:48 -0000
From: Max <rusmir@...a.net>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Buffer overflow/privilege escalation in MacOS X

Hi,

It seems that my original message needs some clarification.

Firstly, the demonstration quoted below does not give you a root shell. It shows that there is a segmentation fault caused by access to invalid memory region. The root shell in the second part of demonstration is a copy/paste from another window, where gdb was running.

Secondly, although it is possible to overwrite the stack, it is not that simple to exploit it because the overflow happens in main(), and there is an exit() at the end of main(), so the execution is never passed to the address in the stack. (credits go to @stake, they  were first who mentioned it). There may be a way to exploit, I didn't have enough time for comprehensive analysis.

Thanks,
Max.