Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:39:15 -0500
From: "Eric \"MightyE\" Stevens" <trash@...htye.org>
To: Julian Ashton <ashton@...tmedia.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Edonkey/Overnet Plugins capable of Virus/Worm behavior

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be dense, so please correct me if I've
misinterpreted your findings; I'll admit, I'm not very familiar with
Edonkey/Overnet.  I only see that there is one vulnerability (actually
it's an exposure) present here that exceeds the vulnerability of running
unknown / untrusted code on your local machine, and that is that you
advertise in a searchable format that you possess such code.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of your post is to indicate
that if someone wrote a vulnerable plugin, it would be easy for any
crax0r to locate such individuals because they're searchable.  This is
akin to the ability to google for insecure web software versions except
that in the case of a popular plugin you're likely to have a broader
user base.

I don't think that this particularly represents a vulnerability of
Edonkey/Overnet per se, but rather a vulnerability in the inherrent
trust that most users operate under when accepting software from the
Internet.  In reality very little (no?) software is totally
vulnerability free.  You recommend that plugin writers have to get their
plugins signed by Edonkey/Overnet before they're usable, but I don't
think it's Edonkey/Overnet's responsibility to audit code for hundreds
of general plugins in order to do this signing.

I have to say, if the ability for a plugin to interface directly with
Windows API "is by far the worst and most insecure plugin architechture
I have ever seen in my life," I have to wonder how many plugin
interfaces you've seen.  If giFT and Windows Media *do* sandbox all of
their plugins to limit what they can do, then kudos to them for taking
the extra security steps here, but others not doing this is hardly a
security vulnerability.  The plugin environments I've had (admittedly
little) experience with are just a series of APIs provided to enable
native otherwise-machine-runnable code to interface with an existing
application.

One of the ideas behind plugins is to permit an application to be
extended in functional ways that the authors had not thought of /
possessed the resources to realize.  While sandboxing will provide
elevated security, it first represents a tremendous effort to realize
(with out any guarantee of security), and second severely limits the
possibilities of what the plugin can do.  If an application author feels
they can predict all possible functions of a plugin, then they can write
a non-limiting plugin environment, but I am pretty sure any plugin
environment you can mention, I could think of plugins that you couldn't
anticipate.

Accepting plugins that you download from the Internet comes with the
same risks as accepting any other software that you download from the
Internet.

Have I missed the point?  Is there some mechanism present that permits
user-unaware propagation of plugins in a default configuration (eg, not
requiring a specific vulnerable other plugin)?  Or is there some options
(plugin independant) that permits this to be the case?

-Eric "MightyE" Stevens
http://lotgd.net