Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:21:11 +0100
From: "adf--at--Code511.com" <adf@...e511.com>
To: <tlarholm@...x.com>
Cc: <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>, <ntbugtraq@...tserv.ntbugtraq.com>,
   <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

more than raising awareness it looks like a corporate marketing
operation from majors:
"Where to Get a Personal Firewall
Personal firewalls are available from several vendors, including these
sponsors of Personal Firewall Day:
	• 	McAfee Security
	• 	Microsoft
	• 	Sygate
	• 	Zone Labs"

is that education?

Other other hand firewall day seems like being used by some people to
distribute new toys? I got more than 20 000 ms sql  worm propagation in
the ids log today.

Come on guys try to objective for one day, next time do a copy/paste of
http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Security/Firewalls/Products/
. That'd be education and not another useless corporate spam to sell
products.

my 0.158 euro

deepquest
"Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appelant"

On 15 janv. 04, at 02:21, <tlarholm@...x.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to remind everybody that tomorrow is Personal Firewall
> Day.
>
> http://www.personalfirewallday.org/
>
> The Personal Firewall Day is a campaign designed to raise awareness
> about the dangers we face without a personal firewall. Security
> experts such as yourself are encouraged to use the occasion of
> Personal Firewall Day to share your expertise and advice with your
> lesser technologically skilled friends and family, and help get them
> secured by installing a personal firewall - this could be as simple as
> helping them turn on the XP firewall. Direct them to the website where
> they can learn more about personal firewalls and other layers of
> protection.
>
> Compromised end-user machines affect us all and the Internet as a
> whole when they are used as zombies for DDoS networks or proxies by
> criminal spammers, and your personal effort can help remedy this.
>
> PFD is a direct result of the discussions that originated from the
> NTBugtraq Retreat '03, and would not have been possible without the
> dedication and hard work put into the project by Paul Robertson,
> director of risk assessment with TruSecure and the original proponent
> of the idea.
>

> Regards
> Thor Larholm
> Senior Security Researcher
> PivX Solutions
> 24 Corporate Plaza #180
> Newport Beach, CA 92660
> http://www.pivx.com
> thor@...x.com
> 949-231-8496
> PivX defines “Proactive Threat Mitigation”. Get a FREE Beta Version of
> Qwik-Fix
> <http://www.qwik-fix.net>

> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

Alexandre Da Fonseca aka Deepquest
Chief Technology Officer
"Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appelant"
Code511                                 work:+33-14225-8585
http://www.code511.com                  cell:+33-66258-5111
PGP DH/DSS http://www.code511.com/pgp   fax :+33-14225-8590
more than raising awareness it looks like a corporate marketing
operation from majors:

are available from several vendors, including these sponsors of
Personal Firewall Day:</fontfamily>

	McAfee Security

	• 	Microsoft

	• 	Sygate

	• 	Zone Labs"

is that education?

Other other hand firewall day seems like being used by some people to
distribute new toys? I got more than 20 000 ms sql  worm propagation
in the ids log today.

Come on guys try to objective for one day, next time do a copy/paste
of http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Security/Firewalls/Products/
. That'd be education and not another useless corporate spam to sell
products.

my 0.158 euro</color></fontfamily>

deepquest

"Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appelant"

<excerpt>I just wanted to remind everybody that tomorrow is Personal
[...]

</excerpt>