Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 10:37:18 +0200 (IST)
From: Sasha <nospam@...l.com>
To: "BUGTRAQ@...URITYFOCUS.COM" <BUGTRAQ@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: HP printers and currency anti-copying measures

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, mightye[removethis] wrote:

> Or use Photoshop 7, 6, 5.5, 5, etc.  I seriously doubt that there are
> any advancements in newer versions of Photoshop which make
> counterfitting significantly easier.  Scanning is scanning, and given
> that what you're trying to do is reproduce an existing image, not create
> a new one, the editing features found in new versions of Photoshop will
> provide very little advantage in this regard aside maybe from a little
> clean up of dirt on the glass of the scanner.

My police experience (that is forensics of the captured computers) shows
that PS is not used in the real counterfitting. Instead they use vector
based packages like CorelDraw and create images themselves (sometimes
starting from a scaned image, sometimes not). I guess this is world wide
practice and so either people who invent "currency anti-copying measures"
never talk with experts or ignore what they was told :-)

Regards,
ASK