Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:24:53 -0800
From: Oliver Friedrichs <oliver_friedrichs@...antec.com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@...m.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Paper announcement: Is finding security holes a good idea?

Eric, some thoughts (this is not an argument for or against
full-disclosure, please take it as constructive criticism):

After reading your paper I agree that the data you used may support your
arguments, however, you missed some important points.  You don't take into
account the "type" of vulnerabilities being found in each of the
applications that you've analyzed (you address Severity, but thats a
seperate variable).  I would argue that if you did that, you would come to
some different conclusions.  I would also argue that the caliber of bugs
being found has increased quite substantially.  Easy to find, easy to
exploit vulnerabilities have for the most part been exhausted in
applications that have been "sufficiently" scrutinized.  The bugs being
found today (in applications that have had a sufficient amount of
scrutiny) are significantly more complex than a number of years ago (in
the same application).  In the early 1990's, you could find a common
buffer overflow (using a blatant strcpy/strcat) in many common core
Internet applications.  Today, the vulnerabilities being discovered in
these same applications are more complex off-by-one, signed/unsigned
integer, compilar casting, or byte/character processing problems.  Some
good examples of this behaviour are sendmail and BIND.  "Type" also infers
the skill level required for a researcher to find a given vulnerability,
due to it's difficulty, with some types being easy to find, while others
extremely difficult.

Entirely new classes of vulnerabilities are rarely discovered (but they
still are).  There will only be a finite quantity of these, and once those
have been identified, the bar can't go any higher.  Of course there can
only be a finite number of vulnerabilities in any given application as
well.

Another two metrics that you don't measure is the amount of scrutiny that
a particular application has had, or the size of an application.  A large
application that has had 30 vulnerabilities found in it by one researcher
over 10 years cannot be compared to a small application that has had 30
vulnerabilities found in it by 200 researchers in 1 year.  There were 30
vulnerabilities found in both, but the latter application will have
improved in quality quite significantly, while the former not (assuming
that both applications have the same average number of vulnerabilities per
line of code).  Unfortunately scrutiny is likely something that you cannot
measure in many applications.

So, on average I would argue that software quality (in terms of
vulnerabilities being discovered) has improved for a given application
that has, and continues to be, sufficiently scrutinized (not including
substantial updates that introduce new bugs).  You simply don't have all
of the data points to prove it, and therefore may be missing important
conclusions.  I may be able to take specific applications, where we have
sufficient visibility into scrutiny, size, and type/difficulty of
vulnerabilities, and prove your theory wrong (sendmail is a possibility).

My conclusion isn't based on the numbers, but simply on my experience with
researching vulnerabilities since the early 1990's.

Oliver Friedrichs
Sr. Manager - DeepSight
Symantec, Inc. (650) 381-8045