Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:25:31 +0100
From: Jelmer <jkuperus@...net.nl>
To: Thor Larholm <thor@...x.com>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Self-Executing FOLDERS: Windows XP Explorer Part V

Thor I know you hang out on irc a lot so let me give you an example you can
relate to,  say you met this girl on irc you talk and she seems nice, now
she offers to send you photo's of herself, If the zip file where to include
an exe or html file naturaly you wouldn't open it, now ask yourself if it
had a single dir called my.pics.folder, would you double click on it
expecting she just zipped the whole dir. I would. So no it isn't not a
vulnerability perse, He never claimed it was,  But it's a very usefull
social engineering trick, and I am thankfull to http-equiv for pointing it
out since I would have been fooled by this. Also I honestly don't see why
there should be such a beast as a .folder extention, is there any usefull
purpose for it at all except for making files that aren't really folders
apear as folders?

you can probably just rename

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.Folder

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.FolderSOME_RANDOM_STUFF

to remove the association with the .folder I don't think it would cause any
trouble but just in case it does you can always rename it back