Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:55:10 +0100
From: Antonio Messina <messina@...iesistemi.it>
To: Marco Marabelli <mm@...t.it>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: sqwebmail web login

> platform:
> linux 2.4 i386
> pachages: qmail+sqwebmail+qmailadmin+vpopmail-vchkpw-auth.

NOT with FreeBSD 4.5, kernel GENERIC, sqwebmail 3.3.3, vpopmail 5.2

However, I think it's due to a misconfiguration. Root mailbox does NOT
exist in default qmail installation: it's just an alias, not a real
valid user.

Mail for root is usually handled by the "alias" pseudo-user.

And with vpopmail you must create such user by hand (or via qmailadmin).

> I think this should be a good method for guessing root password, in fact
> failure logging in on the sqewebmail are not logged (generally!).

Failures are logged by vpopmail. Check your configuration.

> Regards,
> Marco Marabelli

ciao