Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 00:56:12 +1030
From: "Andrew Harwood" <aaharwood_maillist@...pond.com>
To: "'McAllister, Andrew'" <McAllisterA@...ystem.edu>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: MS to stop allowing passwords in URLs

RFC 1738 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt) states is section 3.3
(Note the last sentence):

-------------------
-- begin excerpt --
-------------------
An HTTP URL takes the form:

   is omitted, the port defaults to 80.  No user name or password is
   allowed.
-----------------
-- end excerpt --
-----------------

So Microsoft has finally just adopted the RFC standard, not broken it.

Anyway, you can always re-enable the old system, as documented in the
Microsoft document you link, viz:

-------------------
-- begin excerpt --
-------------------
How to disable the new default behavior for handling user information in
HTTP or HTTPS URLs
To disable the new default behavior in Windows Explorer and Internet
Explorer, create iexplore.exe and explorer.exe DWORD values in one of
the following registry keys and set their value data to 0:

For all users:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME_PASSWORD_DISABLE

For the current user only:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME_PASSWORD_DISABLE
-------------------
--  end excerpt  --
-------------------

The other options are more secure in some ways, most specifically if the
address is visible anywhere on screen, there is no reference to the
username/password for anyone who passes by. I have this problem with our
help desk at work - they have a PC which has the username/password of
our network monitoring system visible in the URL, which any client who
visits can see. Which is one reason why I will only give them read
access :-)

Further, the other options (at least yet) have no ways of breaking them
that will hide the real URL you are visiting, since they only handle the
username/password, and have no linkage to the actual web address.

That's my 2c anyway.

--
Andrew Harwood
aaharwood@...pond.com