Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:13:44 -0500
From: Chris Green <cmg@....org>
To: myrond@...x.com
Cc: "David Bachtel" <dave@...ltimegaming.com>,
	"Matthias Leu" <mleu@...asec.de>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Decompression Bombs

"Myron Davis" <myrond@...x.com> writes:

> Theoretically one could modify a worm to send random zip'd files of zeros
> along the way to different hosts to really kill the destinations
> computers.

Is this all just back to fail open/fail closed?  I have a file that
will cause XXX virus scanner to crash.  Does the SMTP agent view that
as a reason to reject the email or does it pass it through?

If it does a temporary rejection message because of some internal
failure, the infection rateof these messages becomes very low. Not
sure how virus scanners + SMTP servers interact with regards to
tradition SMTP errors.

It would be an effective anti-cleanup method though.
--
Chris Green <cmg@....org>