Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:47:14 -0800
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
To: "Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards@...adiscon.com>,
	"Tina Bird" <tbird@...cision-guesswork.com>
Cc: <BUGTRAQ@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: EEYE: Microsoft ASN.1 Library Length Overflow Heap Corruption

<snip>

> But I think the bottom line of all this is if a box is
> listening to 135,
> 139 OR 445, it is vulnerable. And workstations by default
> listen to this ports.

If you use Outlook, you are vulnerable.

If you use Internet Explorer, you are vulnerable.

If you use Outlook Express, you are vulnerable.

"Software Affected:
Microsoft Internet Explorer
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Outlook Express
Third-party applications that use certificates"

Ref: http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AD20040210.html

Speaking of this bug.

We have noted, perhaps outside of the advisory, that we could send a
malformed, digitally signed email and it could be the exploit point --
further, the email would not even have to be viewed.

That is just one potential avenue of attack.

<snip>