Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:44:13 -0600
From: Joseph M Hoffman <hoffjose@...ibm.com>
To: RJ Auburn <rj@...eo.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com,
   Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net>,
   Zak Dechovich <ZakGroups@...ureol.com>
Subject: Re: ASN.1 telephony critical infrastructure warning - VOIP

I agree that this is somewhat misleading in that VoIP and ASN1 do not go
hand in hand. One item that maybe be an obvious is how to
avoid the exploitation of VoIP no mater what protocol it is running is the
use of a layered protective architecture. Many times I have seen
enterprises run and "protect" every service under the sun but somehow miss
building the VoIP server into that protective layering. The VoIP sever
needs to only be
contacted through a firewall,choke, and ids(ips) , set in a dmz, and
treated just like any other component with policies, proceedures, msb's,
and
guidelines surronding it. The major root to the problems of new
exploitations with the blended virus/worm attacks is not the individaul
pieces of the
enterprise but the overall security architecture is not looked at close
enough.

regards,

Joseph M. Hoffman,CISSP, CCSA,CCSE,NSWC,SBFCC,B.A.

 I.B.M. Security & Privacy Services

office 816-228-3275
mobile 816-721-3275

The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he
becomes by
                           it.
                           John Ruskin

                      RJ Auburn
                      <rj@...eo.com>           To:       Gadi Evron <ge@...tistical.reprehensible.net>
                                               cc:       full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, Zak
                      02/17/2004 01:54          Dechovich <ZakGroups@...ureol.com>
                      PM                       Subject:  Re: ASN.1 telephony critical infrastructure warning - VOIP

I would say that this is somewhat misleading. First of all not all VoIP
services use ASN.1 encoding for the protocol. While H.323 does SIP does
not.

Additionally I suspect that not many of the carrier deployment of H.323
are using the MS ASN.1 libs as most of them are unix based (many of
them will be running SPARC/Solaris).

Now that being said if companies are allowing VoIP to the desktop for
services like netmeeting there could be problems.

             RJ

---
RJ Auburn
CTO, Voxeo Corporation