Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:06:19 -0000
From: "Robbie Stone" <robbie@...endipity.palo-alto.ca.us>
To: "Hugo van der Kooij" <hvdkooij@...derkooij.org>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: SNMP community string disclosure in Linksys WAP55AG

Simply requiring a valid read-only community string to obtain a read-write
string is not sufficient enough protection.

It is possible to expose a read-only community string through a packet
broadcast on an unpopulated arp table on a switch, thus expose the entire unit
to attack. The owner may not even wish to update any data via SNMP, but simply
walking the table with a read-only string will allow any attacker to do so.

Can anyone confirm if the strings are writable via the read-write community
string? If an attacker was able to change the configuration and then lock-out
the remote administration capabilities it would create quite a nuisance,
especially if the access point is in a remote location.

Robbie

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2004, NN Poster wrote:
>
> > Linksys WAP55AG does not properly secure SNMP community strings. In
particular, it is possible to obtain all community strings, including
read/write, by querying OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.3955.2.1.13.1.2.