Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:08:25 -0800
From: Tim <tim-security@...tinelchicken.org>
To: sunglasses@...-watch.com
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Windows XP explorer.exe heap overflow.

This is very similar (though perhaps different) than the DoS found by
Marc Ruef: http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2003/Sep/0047.html
and later analyzed:
  http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2003/Sep/0078.html
  http://seclists.org/lists/fulldisclosure/2003/Sep/0080.html

This older find boiled down to an overflow in parsing gif images that,
AFAIK, M$ refused to patch, or decided to patch silently (Ask Marc, he
would know for sure).  It also would cause explorer.exe to crash
intermittently when the gif was previewed.  I am curious to know if
these are related or not.  Any comments on that Jellytop?  (I have a
sample of the gif if you want to test.)

tim