Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:46:24 -0500
From: "Alun Jones" <alun@...is.com>
To: "'phaser-X'" <px@...oday.net>, <aborg@....org.mt>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: After Ms patches last Wed ...

phaser-X wrote:
> I had a different issue after Wednesdays updates.  Two win2k
> computers in my office were rendered useless after the patch.
>  They were fine before, but as soon as the patch finished and
> the PC was rebooted, the CPU usage was 100% and nothing could
> be done.  I left both PC's sitting for about 20 minutes and
> the 100% CPU usage never came down.  Another coworker said he
> had the same issue with his home PC and he was eventually
> able to get into the task manager and noticed that the system
> process was taking up 99-100% of the CPU.

Not that it's necessarily the case for you, but frequently patching is the
one time when reboots are almost bound to occur - as a result, an awful lot
of bugs are discovered after the patch, but not necessarily because of the
patch.  General advice is to try uninstalling the patch and see if the
problem still exists, before deciding which way to debug - not very easy if
you have all your CPU locked up!

As to the "system process" taking up 99-100% of the CPU, there is a "System
Idle Process" that is _supposed_ to do that.  I hope your coworker hasn't
misconstrued :-)

Try calling PSS (you know, tech support?), and see if they have any ideas.

Alun.
~~~~
--
Texas Imperial Software   | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email