Date: 26 Apr 2004 01:07:42 -0000
From: Kyle Duren <acidrain_ask@...itha.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Samsung SmartEther SS6215S Switch

There is a vulnerability within the OS that this (and other) samsung
managed switches. The problem resides in the way that the admin user
is authenticated when trying to login using telnet (remote) or from
console (local). Now just so everyone who reads this knows, I am not
that up to date on all of these terms for this such thing.

Example:

Trying 192.168.0.2...
Connected to 192.168.0.2.
Escape character is '^]'.

                Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
                 Enterprise Network Division
                      SmartEther Switch
login   :  admin
password:  ****************
error: Password not matched.
password:

admin>

If you try to login as the "admin" user, and you do not have the
password, then all you need to do, is to type "admin" and then for the
password, use any combination of letters or numbers or !@...^&*, as
long as it fills up the entire "space" for the password it will work.
Then you hit enter again, after it tells you the password is incorrect.
You are now logged in. This works via telnet or via local
(hyperterminal). However this does not work, if you fill all of the
password space, and then delete one character.I have tried this on 2
SS6215S 16 port layer 2 managed switches and it works on both every
time.

This will not however let you "set" the admin password once you have
logged in. Example:

admin> passwd
old password  : ****************
error: old password is not matched
admin>

If anyone has any other models of these switches or hubs I'd like to see
if this problem exists in other models.

-
Kyle Duren