Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:38:12 +0200
From: "Imperva Application Defense Center" <adc@...erva.com>
To: "K. K. Mookhey" <cto@....co.in>, <webappsec@...urityfocus.com>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>, <secpapers@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: New Paper - SQL Injection Signatures Evasion

Dear Mr. Mookhey,

The 'SQL Injection Signatures Evasion' paper is the result of a several
months-long research conducted by Imperva's ADC. This research began
long before the pulibcation of the 'Detection of SQL Injection and
Cross-Site scripting attacks', and was obviously never intended as a
means of countering the validity or necessity of your paper.

The reference to the paper was done exactly for the reasons you have
mentioned in your message. Altough not claiming to be a thorough guide,
the paper you have published is a very important paper, trying to use
the power of regular expressions to yield high coverage of SQL Injection
attacks detection. What we wanted to show was, that even such strong and
elaborate patterns, which would detect most of normal level application
level attacks, can not provide full protection, and will eventually be
bypassed using different evasion techniques (Obviously, once new
techniques are developed, more signatures can be added, but this is the
old cat & mouse game between the security experts and the hackers). Our
paper does not claim that the paper you have published is wrong in any
way or unprofessional. On the contrary, we do believe that this is one
of the best set of signatures we have seen published.

As for Imperva's Application Defense Center, I believe there is some
confusion. Imperva's Application Defense Center is an independant group
within Imperva, which is dedicated to research of new application
security topics, as well as  provide application security services, such
as penetration tests. Although Imperva(tm) Inc. is developing such a
product, and although some of its concepts are obviously a result of the
experience of Imperva's ADC, all the research done in Imperva's ADC is
completely independant. The grounds for a new research are usually based
on real world problems we encounter during penetration tests, or other
issues we believe will be interesting to investigate. For these reasons
we will not discuss in this forum the capabilities of Imperva's
products.

P.S., I am cc'ing this to the lists where you have posted it, but also
to webappsec, as I believe that is the proper place for that discussion.

---
Ofer Maor
Application Defense Center Manager
Imperva(tm)