Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:28:30 -0500
From: "Matthew Gillespie" <mgillespie@...ket.net>
To: "Alan W. Rateliff, II" <lists@...eliff.net>
Cc: <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: LinkSys WRT54G administration page availble to WAN

Alan,

 I have personally contacted Linksys in regards to this problem (it appears
that a glitch in WRT54G and in BEFSR41v3 cause this problem). Both pieces of
equipment were running current firmware (I don't have my notes with me at
the moment, but the firmware was current). And in both instances remote
admin was available via port 80 on the WAN side.

 Initially I spoke with an outsourced group of individuals that recommended
I forward port 80 inquiries to a null ip. This DOES work, however is very
sloppy. Later I asked for the source code to BEFSR41v3, to modify the bug
myself but was denied as it is propietary.

 After repeated problems with remote admin STAYING on (keep in mind, it was
disabled, along with various other settings) I again contacted linksys where
a friendly individual informed me, "If you continue to have the problem you
could just buy a new router".

 All of this is documented in emails I have sent to Linksys. I have spoken
to Jason Hardy throughout April (Linksys Product Support Case#: 2423404 and
RE: Linksys Product Support Case#: 242340) however the issue has yet to be
resolved.

 So I'd suggest forwarding port 80 inquries to a null ip in the meantime,
good work Linksys.