Date: Tue,  1 Jun 2004 03:02:29 -0400
From: jkouns@...nsecurityfoundation.org
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: OSVDB Post Go-Live Update, 3000 Stable Entries

06/01/2004 – OSVDB Post Go-Live Update, 3000 Stable Entries

We have had an overwhelming positive response since the go-live of the Open
Source Vulnerability Database project, and would like to thank everyone that
has supported OSVDB. In the two months, we've gotten many new volunteers
and have over fifty active data manglers. Thanks to their dedication and hard
work, we have made great progress updating the database content, and have 3000
vulnerabilities in the "stable" status.

As well as the database content, we have achieved a project milestone to help
support the growth and adoption of OSVDB. In addition to the RSS
feed(http://www.osvdb.org/backend/rss.php) of daily "stable" vulnerabilities,
the entire database is now available in XML format.  Custom scripts are
available to load the data into PostgreSQL, MySQL and Microsoft Access
databases. Any feedback on the XML format or scripts is greatly appreciated.

Also on the new feature list is the OSVDB XML-RPC server. This had been
requested by numerous security tools to help the active integration with and
usage of OSVDB. We have developed our own library of procedure calls to be used
as a means of retrieving data via XML-RPC.  This library may be utilized to
search and display data contained in the OSVDB database.  More information can
be found at: http://www.osvdb.org/xmlrpc-server-client-documentation.php.  We
want to send special thanks to Brandon for all of his hard work and making this
big step for OSVDB possible!

Since the OSVDB go-live, the development team has been inundated with requests
for bug fixes, enhancements and major functionality changes. They previously
posted a request for new developers, and are still seeking additional help. If
interested, please email Forrest (fbr at 14x.net).

We have had many people contact us and offer support for the project. We are
currently determining our long-term hosting strategy, and appreciate the many
offers of mirror space. When we have a clear strategy defined, we will be
reviewing and evaluating all of the offers. Most notable of the support offers,
we'd like to thank Churchill & Harriman  (http://www.chus.com/), who became our
first financial sponsor. We appreciate their support to help ensure the
long-term success of OSVDB, and hope others will follow their lead.

OSVDB continues to aggressively update the content of the database, as well as
strive to complete the objectives we have previously outlined. We will also
continue to update the community as major accomplishments are achieved. As
always, please feel free to contact us with ideas, questions or feedback.