Date: 5 Jun 2004 00:53:26 -0000
From: <caldcv@...dents.fccj.org>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: The Linksys WRT54G "security problem" doesn't exist

>> In a recent client installation I discovered that even if the remote
>> administration function is turned off, the WRT54G provides the
>> administration web page to ports 80 and 443 on the WAN.
>
>I think the "Independent consultant" quoted in InternetWeek is wrong.

The current "bug" should be as follows:

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on xxx.adelphia.net (67.23.xxx.xxx):
(The 1553 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
443/tcp    open        https

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 40 seconds

I logged into it via my web-browser, Opera, which said the router was WRT54G. I went into Admistration -> Remote Configuration. The box for remote configuration was unchecked, however it allowed me to access https over the Internet.

Firmware Version:	v1.42.2
Current Time:	Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:34:54
MAC Address:	00:0C:41:A9:F8:76
Router Name:	WRT54G