Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:08:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne@...ternet.com>
To: William Warren <hescominsoon@...anuelcomputerconsulting.com>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, <NTBugtraq@...tserv.ntbugtraq.com>,
   <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Subject: Re: Microsoft and Security

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, William Warren wrote:

> Frankly if i hit a site that does not work in mozilla..i email
> the webmaster..if they are unable or unwilling to support mozilla
> then i simply do not go to that site anymore..:)

Which can leave you with a lonely web-browsing experience.  I recall a
well known security researcher/expert not too long ago in the past
givening up on his stance of avoiding security related sites that relied
upon content that was potentially unsafe.  He soon found there were few
security sites he could actually browse.

There are a number  of applications that are IE centric as well,
applications that often end up in corprate evn's...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

> Nancy Kramer wrote:
>
> > There are lots of sites written only for IE or clones of IE like Opera.
> > Some large sites are written only for late model IEs.  Many are from
> > large companies.  Big business thinks MS is the state of the art and the
> > only way to go for business.  You have a choice do it their way or don't
> > get the benefits of their web site.  They play to the user who has AOL,
> > uses only IE and Outlook with all the defaults on because if MS does it
> > it must be right and they really have no interest in changing things or
> > knowing about them.  People believe they are protected by big companies
> > like MS.  They are fools but then like a friend of mine always says
> > "business people are stupid".
> >
> > They believe that the US government should protect them from hackers and
> > spam.  That cannot be done but they don't understand that  and neither
> > do the US legislators.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Nancy Kramer
> > Webmaster http://www.americandreamcars.com
> > Free Color Picture Ads for Collector Cars
> > One of the Ten Best Places To Buy or Sell a Collector Car on the Web
> >

> > At 05:23 PM 6/28/2004, Burnes, James wrote:
> >
> >> Well, this is an predictable, but interesting quote from IDefense...
> >>
> >> [IDefense linked the malicious attacks to a group by a different name
> >> called the hangUP team, also from Russia and also believed to be
> >> responsible for the recent string of Korgo worms, Dunham said.
> >>
> >> "These are hackers for hire and they commoditize every piece of
> >> information they capture. This was a very complicated and sophisticated
> >> attack," he said.
> >>
> >> Security experts were still trying to determine Friday how IIS servers
> >> were compromised and whether applying the latest patches for IIS and
> >> Internet Explorer would protect users from the attacks.
> >>
> >> "My gut feeling is (patching) doesn't protect you," Dunham said. "If I
> >> were a home user, I'd consider using another Web browser, like Mozilla,
> >> until a patch comes out," he said.]  (nwfusion - 06/25/2004)
> >>
> >> Well, of course.  By why go back to IE unless someone wrote apps that
> >> only run on IE and what's the point of that.  Might as well write them
> >> in VB.
> >>
> >> jim burnes
> >> security engineer
> >> great-west, denver

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.