Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:56:39 +0200
From: Fred Mobach <fred@...ach.nl>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: OIS <announcements@...afety.org>, NTBUGTRAQ@...TSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM,
   full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com
Subject: Re: Public Review of OIS Security Vulnerability Reporting and
 ResponseGuidelines

OIS wrote:

> The Organization for Internet Safety (OIS) extends an invitation to
> the readers of the BugTraq, NTBugtraq, and Full-Disclosure mailing
> lists to participate in the ongoing public review of the OIS Security
> Vulnerability Reporting and Response Guidelines.

I have problems with the OIS guidelines as I distrust at least one
member of OIS since it won't publish verifiable information on Bugtraq
since some years. When I combine the policy of that company with the
next statement from OIS's about.html page

"Does OIS support pre-disclosure of vulnerability information to select
groups?
No. We believe the software author should be given a chance to create a
fix before vulnerability information is made public, but that there
should be no further distribution of that information until the fix is
complete. This priniciple can be very difficult to adhere to in certain
situations, such as dealing with the open source community where there
aren't protections to keep vulnerability information secret."

I am afraid that that company might take years to supply a fix or even
to never supply that. A limit of at most four weeks before disclosure
seems reasonable to me. If that company cannot live with that it can opt
to die.

Another interesting point for me is the statement about the open source
community in the same paragraph. Some organizations still have problems
with that community, which is reflected by adopters.html webpage of OIS.
No representation of the open source community as far as I can see. But
please correct me if I am wrong.
--
Fred Mobach - fred@...ach.nl - postmaster@...ach.nl
Systemhouse Mobach bv - The Netherlands - since 1976