Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:06:02 -0700
From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley@...e.com>
To: "Thor Larholm" <thor@...x.com>,
	<bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: RE: Registry Fix For Variant of Scob

<snip>

I noted this in my paper.

I noted in a reply to a post that hardening the Local Zone can
also cause problems. A lot of applications use this zone.

The reason killbitting was considered a "workaround" was because
it was always a "workaround" until Microsoft fixed the issue.

My viewpoint is the activex is flawed. The development of it
and the QA of it. So, it should be removed, because of the
security issue... until Microsoft fixes the issue and retests
the activex for further variants.

"My Computer Zone", ultimately, should be hardened, but without
removing functionality, in my opinion. What I have been asking
from Microsoft - and expect to get - is that they add it to
the security interface.

And further, that they make their security interface easy to
use. As it stands it has almost no help, and the definitions
are completely unwieldy. It is absurd. They do the xbox well,
why can't they do this well?

So, let's add that suggestion there, too.

Because it is sorely needed.