Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:49:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Troy" <tjk@...oft.com>
To: zhenshi99@...oo.com (Zhen Shi)
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: International DNS compromise?

It's probably the ISP you are using.
They are intercepting DNS requests and returning their
own replies. It could be something malicious, but it could
just as well be the ISP saving bandwidth by caching DNS queries.
If they cache DNS queries they probably cache www queries as
well. This is very common among ISPs outside the U.S., since
traffic out of the country tends to be a lot more expensive
than domestic traffic.

DNS is only as trustworthy as the companies who control
your network and those networks connected to it. The same
is true in China and everywhere else, including the U.S.

Troy